Thursday, August 23, 2007

First Impressions (Fall Cohort)

By: Marc Folch

So... All the applying, GMAT writing, interviewing, reference chasing and waiting have paid off. I am now at what many consider to be Canada's premier MBA school.

What is it like? Well, there is a lot of work for sure. Full classes haven not even started (we are doing an optional preparatory knowledge course) but we are waking up for class that starts at 8:00am and goes straight to 5:00pm with a good 3-5 hrs of homework after.

I suppose when you are cramming a full MBA (normally 2 years), into a year and two weeks, there is not much time left for a slow ramp up. You really need to hit the ground running. Good thing I brought my Nikes.

It's a very collaborative environment here and we do a good bit of group work, but this translates to our social life as well. Even outside of class there is an incredible attitude of brotherhood/sisterhood in the program and any time you need a hand with something, there is always someone ready help.

The staff here are also like nothing I have ever encountered at an academic institution. The profs are interesting and know how to relate the material to the real world in a way that makes it relevant and forces you to think about the big picture. That was my biggest frustration with undergrad, it was often too abstract.

As for the admin staff, they are amazing. Most admins either treat you like a number or just don't care. Here, they are on the ball and will bend over backwards to help. When I first arrived, I couldn't get in touch with my roommate because his phone was off so i figured i might as well ask an admin. Within 5 minutes, she'd tracked him down to an international student orientation and had someone pass him a note to call me with my cell phone number. Never seen anything like it!

Overall, I'm impressed. We work hard, play hard, will sleep when we're dead.

Marc Folch
MBA Candidate 2008 (Fall Cohort)
Richard Ivey School of Business
University of Western Ontario

No comments: