Thursday, October 4, 2007

Balancing MBA and a Family

Traditional MBA program is quite a demanding experience, here at Ivey the workload is kicked up a notch yet, due to the fact that it's delivered in one year format. So how can somebody manage not only to be successful at Ivey but stay effective at managing their family as well? I had a chance to pose the same question to Grace. Grace moved from China with her family to start her one year Ivey MBA experience.

"When I decided to do my MBA a year ago, I was concerned if I could survive the program at Ivey while taking care of my son. I understood that it was an ambitious decision for me to pursue an MBA as a mother of a four-year old son. The first moth at Ivey proved that it was particularly difficult to commit to both MBA coursework and motherhood.

However, I was able to successfully manage my time to fulfill my commitments thanks to my parents' coming over from China to look after my son for me during the day and my increased time management skills over the course.

Now, even though I feel the MBA program at Ivey is quite intensive, I dedicate one to two hours every day after dinner to be with my son telling him stories, teaching him songs, or playing games with him. On weekends, I typically spend a whole day taking my son and my parents to nearby parks, beaches or farms. I enjoy very much the time with my family and I feel that I can balance my study and life very well." (Grace Shi, Ivey MBA Candidate 2008)

So here you have it, managing both family and MBA is tough but none the less doable. Grace and four other classmates of mine, all with families and kids, are my role models when it comes to effectively managing one's time while balancing personal and professional commitments.

George

No comments: