Saturday, December 17, 2011

Have you met George? (2)


The next huge change came when we were planning the move to Canada in 1998. The tough part was that my own mom was using me as leverage, telling my dad to exchange my share in her apartment for her permission for me to leave the country. After going through messy divorce my dad didn’t trust her a bit though and I volunteered to be a mediator between them. I asked my dad if he is OK for me to transfer property rights to mom and he was, but he said he didn’t trust that she would give me the permission. They were at a gridlock telling the each other to make the first concession. I thought it’s easy: I would get my mom to write permission first and then I would ensure that she gets the property share. I talk to her and she agreed that it was a good way to proceed. The biggest shock came when after agreeing she went back and said that she’s not going to do it. My trust foundation was rocked.. it affected me fundamentally, afterwards I kept asking myself a question: if I can’t trust my parent how can I trust anyone. It was a fundamentally difficult question which had significant trust repercussions for the coming years.

As the result of this we also had to hide the fact that we’ll try to sneak out of the country so I was prohibited from telling anyone that I might be leaving the country for the fear that my own mother is going to discover that we are leaving and try to stop it.

It was a difficult thing to comprehend for a 15 year old. The only two people whom I told a day before leaving Russia were one neighbor who acted as an adopted mother to me and my girlfriend at the time. And precisely what I told them was that I’m going tomorrow and I might or might not come back. I think it was the biggest shock for my girlfriend who I’ve been seeing for 9 months. Essentially she thought I was joking...

The next day we packed and went to airport. We deposited our luggage and then it came turn to the airport immigration. The official asked where my mom’s permission for me to leave the country is. My dad sunk.., I thought to myself, this is a deciding moment of my life, which it really was. On one side I get turned back and return to my previous life and the prospect of being drafted into Russian army in the coming years. On the other hand there was an exciting prospective of going to Canada and starting anew. We wouldn’t get second chance to try. All of these things passed through my mind in an instant and I said “mother is just outside terminal, she brought us here and will be joining us in Canada later”. The officer gave me a mean look and after checking with her superior gave us a nod. And off we went to Canada.

Canada didn’t seem real for the first while I was there. The fact that my dad up to the last minute didn’t believe that we had a chance to get out without my mom’s permission resulted in me not having a chance to prepare myself, which complicated matters. I would dream that I’m still in Moscow and that move to Canada was indeed the dream. I would dream of army drafters knocking on my door and wake up in cold sweat. The language and cultural barriers were quite significant too. I would have a feeling that everyone around me can speak Russian and just pretending that they can only speak English to make my life difficult. Guess perception is a funny thing when you are younger.

Think we invent shortcut in mind to make life more logical and easier to comprehend. Those ideas came under a lot of pressure when we moved to Canada. It was really a big challenge to adapt and again I stood up to it and faced it. Or did I?

I realized that a lot of times what I was actually doing is absorbing the challenge and moving on, thinking that a passive response is the easiest. I saw the very same approach from my dad when he struggled to find application for his experience and who university masters degrees from Russia. He took it in stride and went for the available choice of a laborer. I saw disappointment in his eyes as he moved to Canada thinking that it’s a land of opportunities and instead discovered that it was precisely the opposite for him, more like a step back.

I went back to last grade of high school in Canada as I was too young for university and to improve my English. Then as my grades were all A’s my dad told me to follow in his footsteps and become an Engineer. The following four years are an absolute blur, I don’t remember much from university. I found it completely uninteresting and not engaging, repeating my Russian high school experience. I kept on thinking to myself, why am I doing this? I cruised along taking as many courses at a time to finish it faster, having an idea that there’s going to be a good job waiting for me at the end…

The wake up came when I graduated from university and discovered that no one actually was interested in hiring and average engineering student without any work experience. I reacted in my normal way, retreating and waiting for the job to come. I started sleeping late and waking up late. I lasted for three months just sending around resumes and waiting for people to reply. At which point I realized that I’m pretty screwed.

I also realized that I’m at a crossroads. I thought of my dad. I respected a lot the fact that he sacrificed his business in Moscow to move me to Canada. At the same time reflecting on his and my experience I saw similarities. All of a sudden I come to realization that if I was to continue cruising along I was going to end up average and struggle through life. I started reading biographies of successful people trying to understand what was going through the minds and learn from them. I didn’t have any role models or mentors and therefore I was seeking the advice indirectly from those books. I found that what differentiated majority of those people is that they tried and were not afraid to fail. The definition of success of course can be argued, but I believe having comfortable conditions in which you don’t worry about food is essential.

With that idea I decided to try get out of the conundrum I got myself into by getting experience and since no one was willing to pay me to get that experience I had to get it for free = volunteer my time in return for experience. I went around looking for volunteering jobs, and to my surprise couldn’t find any neither. Nobody was keen to take a recent grad.

At that point I started to get quite irritated; I came to the local Chamber of commerce and asked for a volunteering job. They said they had nothing… I said I could sort paper clips for all that matters as my only other alternative would be to pay somebody to give me work. Fortunately they were encouraged by my enthusiasm and called me the next day and said that they actually had lots of things I can help them with. That’s how my full time three months stint with them started. I ended up doing quite a bit of interesting work with them, including public policy design and negotiation and membership drives. On top of that I’ve got loads of local business contacts from the Chamber and was able to land a couple of decent jobs as the result. I was on fire and continued getting involved in more and more stuff. Doing projects with government and local non for profits, participating in community leadership programs and speaking about immigration issues to college and high school students. I felt alive again. I was the youngest among all these groups and people looked at me with amazement and that I thrived on that energy and recognition in addition to feeling good about the things I was involved in.

The city we moved to is in mid-Canada, relatively quiet and remote place and I quickly felt like I was outgrowing it. And despite people telling me it’s better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond I made a decision that there’s something more than the city and I need to make the move sooner than later.

The MBA was my ticket out. I studied really hard for GMAT and surprised myself and people who knew me from university with the result. I then spend time diligently researching schools and choosing the one that appealed to me carefully. In the mean time I started writing a blog about the whole experience. To my surprise I started getting a lot of readers. I was excited again, even though I have never thought that writing has been my strength I found myself really drawn to writing and spending countless hours reading other blogs for ideas and style. My writing gradually improved and I started getting even more readers. At the end I was getting more than thousand people from all over world reading my blog monthly. I was on a cloud 9.

The MBA experience was more interesting than my prior educational experience and I came out more confident. Thinking that I want to do consulting or finance in Toronto. Apparently life had added a slight twist to that plan and I ended moving to Hong Kong instead. I felt energized again, trying something completely different, moving away from small Canadian city to an exciting place in Asia. I didn’t even think twice about moving. I just packed and said bye to my dad, who I think was slightly surprised that I didn’t hesitate to move so far.

Since moving to Hong Kong with Prudential though I feel like I lost the thread. The job was going all well and I’m paid a multiple of what I was paid in Canada. I should be happy as I can now afford majority of things that I dreamed off before.

I’ve been in Hong Kong for a year plus and after that moved to Singapore, where I’ve been for a two years. Looking back I feel like life kinda stood still since I left Canada. Like a hamster in a wheel I move my legs, sometimes even run, but looking back the progress has slowed down.

The things have a potential to change though, and since three months ago I've joined AXA. There has been a multitude of new challenges awaiting me there and I'm hopeful that I can accelerate my learning and make a positive impact on the business. More on this later..

Hope you have enjoyed this little trip down my memory lane!

Till next time, 
George 

No comments: